The Law Offices of Joe Bornstein is proud to support 'Preble Street and 'The Power of Sharing.' For one week, Portland's Time & Temperature Building will display the message 'END HNGR' to bring attention to Maine's food insecurity crisis and honor Preble Street's efforts to help this statewide problem.
Food insecurity in Maine, which started to surge in 2008 at the start of the economic downturn as a result of people losing their jobs, homes and financial resources, remains a very prevalent and troublesome issue today.
According to studies, nearly 49 million Americans were food insecure in 2010. That equals 1 out of 6 people lacking access to proper nutrition.
Preble Street, founded in 1975 as a neighborhood center to help the homeless and low-income residents of Portland, is an organization working tirelessly to help Mainers in need. Today, Preble Street reaches over 500 people each day.
Preble Street's many programs include:
- Drop-in Centers - Clean clothes, showers and a place to rest provided daily
- Soup Kitchens - Over 500,000 nutritious meals served annually to Mainers of all ages
- Food Pantries - Emergency groceries provided to families and individuals on a weekly basis
- Shelters and Supported Housing - Warm beds 365 days a year for teens as they work to build stable lives and for women who once had no place to live but the streets
- Social Work Services - Community Casework and Veterans Housing Services to help families find and maintain safe and affordable housing.
Each week over 400 community volunteers lend a hand at Preble Street and nearly 100% of the food and clothing distributed is donated. And at Preble Street, everyone, is welcome.
Some of the people who Preble Street helps were born into poverty, abuse or other unfortunate circumstances, while some were born into stable families and home lives. Some are temporarily homeless because of a sudden crisis while others have been homeless for years. Regardless of their age, gender, religion or race, all are accepted at Preble Street.
The holiday season, help Preble Street 'END HNGR' in Portland and assist fellow Mainers in need. Join The Law Offices of Joe Bornstein and our staff in donating items on Preble Street's Wish List or by lending a helping hand to those less fortunate.