The smell of crisp summer night air and BBQs is here, as well a favorite American pasttime - the 4th of July. More often than not, Independence Day festivities include dazzling fireworks displays, either at the beach or in your nearest city. Now that Mainers can legally purchase fireworks, we just want to take a few moments to remind you about firework safety, to ensure that you and your loved ones celebrate in style and in safety:
- Purchase only Maine-permissible consumer fireworks, available at licensed stores in the state
- Purchase only as many fireworks as needed, do not buy an extra quantity
- Firework users must be age 21 or older
- Have a hose handy in case of a fire
- Wear eye protection and any other appropriate safety gear
- Follow all of the instructions provided to you
- Light only one device at a time
- Keep spectators (including people or animals) at a safe distance away from you while lighting the device
- Clean up all debris when you are finished setting off your fireworks
- Set devices that do not discharge alone for 15 minutes, then place in water
- Always be sure to keep unused fireworks, matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
For more information on safety tips and guidelines from the Maine Fire Marshal, please click here: http://www.maine.gov/dps/fmo/fireworks/index.html
While fireworks are now legal in our beautiful state, proper safety precautions and measures must still be taken. By following the above guidelines, you can be sure to celebrate with your safety and the safety of others in mind.
The Law Offices of Joe Bornstein wishes you and yours a very happy 4th of July!