A recent study conducted by researchers at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, found that from 2012 through 2013, U.S. Poison Control centers received reports of 17,230 children younger than age 6 being exposed to chemicals in laundry detergents. This exposure was the result of swallowing or inhalation. As a result of ingesting these dangerous chemicals, 769 young children had to be hospitalized.
In response to reports that many children still are being injured by ingesting pre-measured laundry detergent packets, the American Cleaning Institute has provided information about the safe handling and storage of these packets. The ACI recommends the following steps:
1. The packets should be stored out of reach and out of sight of children
2. The packets should be stored in their original containers or pouches until ready to be used
3. Children should not be allowed to handle the pre-measured laundry detergent packets
The detergent contained In the pods is highly concentrated, much more so than detergent in the more traditional bottled liquid detergent. Children who ingest even small amounts of detergent in one of these pods can be seriously injured and require immediate medical treatment.