Well, Mainers - we've made it through our first real snowstorm of the season. A blizzard or Nor'Easter as it were. Since Winter has only just begun, there are almost certainly several more inches of the white stuff to come in our near future. With snow falling at such a rapid rate as it did the past couple of days, your homes can quickly become covered and this in turn can lead to very dangerous outcomes.
Local police and fire departments are urging residents to BE SURE to keep furnace and other utility vents clear of snow. When snow is falling at a rate of 2 to 4 inches per hour, it can quickly build up on surfaces of your home. When a furnace can't breathe, it isn't safe.
It is important to devise a plan to remove all snow and ice from your home's exterior vents and utilities in order to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. When snow blows against a house, it can block vents, therefore making it so that carbon monoxide has nowhere to go and is ultimately trapped in the house. Carbon monoxide is known as a silent killer because you can't see, smell or taste the deadly gas.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has compiled a list of very important post-blizzard safety measures, including:
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include: headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.
For more information on this potentially fatal element of extreme snowstorms, please visit: www.cdc.gov